It is natural to worry about the safety and well-being of elderly loved ones, especially when you are not around to look after them. Most seniors have mobility issues and they can be frail, forgetful, and slower in their movements. All these can be worrisome, putting them at risk of accidents and other situations that may put their lives in danger. The good news is that you can use a senior tracking device to oversee their status even when you are not with them.
Tracking devices for seniors use GPS to help you keep tabs of your loved ones. Selecting a GPS tracker for adults can involve many factors that may influence your decision. Here are five steps to help you pick the right product:
- Compare different trackers – Senior tracking devices are available from many different manufacturers and retailers. Narrow down the selection by choosing highly rated products that are highly recommended by other users. Consider a free senior tracking app that you can easily install in the smartphone of your loved ones. Be sure to read the reviews, but take them with a grain of salt.
- Find out how it works – Understand the technology behind the tracking device for adults that you are interested in by trying it out yourself. Some of them offer free trials. Leading tracking products these days are apps. Simply install them on yours and your elderly loved one’s smartphone so you can track their movements and see their status in real-time.
- Learn the features – Choose a senior tracking device that comes with all the essential features for ease of use and reliable delivery of information about your loved ones’ whereabouts and status. Some of the best products will deliver reports to your phone or email to let you know of any inactivity as well as critical events such as falls, abuse, wandering, and online scams. They are unobtrusive and designed specifically for seniors.
- Make sure it is easy to use – You should be able to easily configure the GPS tracker for adults after installation and set it to send you alerts on your loved ones’ location and activities. The app should send emergency help requests and other alerts when the phone has fallen, when the app has been uninstalled or installed, or when the phone has been inactive for an extended period.
- Look for a geo-fence – Geo-fencing is a useful feature in a tracking device for adults. It shows you if your loved ones are entering or leaving your assigned premises, like your home or the neighborhood.